Sunday, January 31, 2010

Holy is His grace, His everlasting love



My good friend Nick Sandy reminded me of this awesome verse this week:

But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect. No, I worked harder than all of them--yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me. 1 Corinthians 15:10

The timing is appropriate since we are getting ready to enter the season of Lent. It’s a time of prayer and preparation for Easter. It’s a time to actively live out our baptisms and consider how God’s grace drastically and daily changes our lives. It’s a time to reflect on our belief that we cannot earn God’s love and that instead he freely gives this amazing gift. It’s a time to hear again God’s call for us, to recognize and respond again to God’s presence in our lives.

I’ve never been one to talk much about things like God’s call and such, but as I’ve gone through this crazy time of transition I’ve been hearing God’s call pretty loud. I feel like I’ve had the time to focus on myself and now I’m excited to give my time and talents to others. I’m the newest (and youngest….by a lot….) member of my church’s council. I’m excited to be able to help during our time of transition as we hire a new pastor. I’m also starting to volunteer with Big Brothers Big Sisters. (I had my interview last week. Now just waiting to be matched up with a Little!) Plus I work for a great organization that does amazing things for our local youth who need us most. Talk about God putting great opportunities in my life!

My church’s mission statement is “Growing in God’s grace,” which means that we’re all growing in the love that God freely and happily gives to us. While this is much too broad for a church mission statement, I think it’s how we should look at our faith walks. What an amazing gift! I hope you find the joy I have in God’s outpouring of love!

Post title song: “Heart Whispers Grace” by Endeverance (CHECK THEM OUT!!! www.endeverance.com)


No comments:

Post a Comment